National Application Center :: career details :: Poets and Lyricists
Career Details :: Poets and Lyricists
Write poetry or song lyrics for publication or performance.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Writes words to fit musical compositions, including lyrics for operas, musical plays, and choral works.
- Writes narrative, dramatic, lyric, or other types of poetry for publication.
- Chooses subject matter and suitable form to express personal feeling and experience or ideas or to narrate story or event.
- Adapts text to accommodate musical requirements of composer and singer.
- Costume Attendants
- Creative Writers
- Film and Video Editors
- Music Arrangers and Orchestrators
- Sketch Artists
- Talent Directors
General Work Activities
- Thinking Creatively
- Implementing Ideas, Programs, etc.
- Judging Qualities of Things, Service, People
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
Frequent Work Context
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done
- Provide a Service to Others