National Application Center :: career details :: Advertising Sales Agents
Career Details :: Advertising Sales Agents
Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom-made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Advises customer in advantages of various types of programming and methods of composing layouts and designs for signs and displays.
- Exhibits prepared layouts with mats and copy with headings.
- Visits advertisers to point out advantages of publication.
- Draws up contract covering arrangements for designing, fabricating, erecting, and maintaining sign or display.
- Calls on prospects and presents outlines of various programs or commercial announcements.
- Prepares list of prospects for classified and display space for publication from leads in other papers and from old accounts.
- Informs customer of types of artwork available by providing samples.
- Arranges for and accompanies prospect to commercial taping sessions.
- Delivers advertising or illustration proofs to customer for approval.
- Collects payments due.
- Writes copy as part of layout.
- Computes job costs.
- Plans and sketches layouts to meet customer needs.
- Prepares promotional plans, sales literature, and sales contracts, using computer.
- Calls on advertisers and sales promotion people to obtain information concerning prospects for current advertising and sales promotion.
- Obtains pertinent information concerning prospect's past and current advertising for use in sales presentation.
- Sells signs to be made according to customers' specifications, utilizing knowledge of lettering, color harmony, and sign-making processes.
- Copy Writers
- Driver/Sales Workers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Sales Representatives, Agricultural
- Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
- Sales Representatives, Medical
General Work Activities
- Selling or Influencing Others
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Performing for/Working With Public
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Persuade Someone to a Course of Action
- Deal With External Customers
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done