National Application Center :: career details :: Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
Career Details :: Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
Purchase machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment. Purchase raw or semi-finished materials for manufacturing.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Negotiates or renegotiates and administers contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
- Formulates policies and procedures for bid proposals and procurement of goods and services.
- Locates and arranges for purchase of goods and services necessary for efficient operation of organization.
- Analyzes price proposals, financial reports, and other data and information to determine reasonable prices.
- Directs and coordinates workers' activities involving bid proposals and procurement of goods and services.
- Arbitrates claims and resolves complaints generated during performance of contract.
- Confers with personnel, users, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determines corrective action.
- Maintains and reviews computerized or manual records of items purchased, costs, delivery, product performance, and inventories.
- Evaluates and monitors contract performance to determine need for changes and to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Prepares purchase orders or bid proposals and reviews requisitions for goods and services.
- Adjustment Clerks
- Cost Estimators
- Credit Analysts
- Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
- Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage
- Procurement Clerks
General Work Activities
- Judging Qualities of Things, Service, People
- Resolving Conflict, Negotiating With Others
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Analyzing Data or Information
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Management of Financial Resources
- Active Listening
- Reading Comprehension
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Consequence of Error
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done