National Application Center :: career details :: Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
Career Details :: Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
Review settled insurance claims to determine that payments and settlements have been made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Report overpayments, underpayments, and other irregularities. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Analyzes data used in settling claim to determine its validity in payment of claims.
- Reports overpayments, underpayments, and other irregularities.
- Confers with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation.
- Cost Estimators
- Credit Checkers
- Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
- Insurance Underwriters
- Title Examiners and Abstractors
General Work Activities
- Evaluating Information Against Standards
- Analyzing Data or Information
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Judging Qualities of Things, Service, People
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
Frequent Work Context
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done
- Consequence of Error
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate
- Job-Required Social Interaction