National Application Center :: career details :: Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
Career Details :: Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
Instruct children (normally up to 5 years of age) in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. May be required to hold state certification.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Instructs children in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth in facility, such as preschool or day-care center.
- Demonstrates activity.
- Monitors individual and/or group activities to prevent accidents and promote social skills.
- Confers with parents to explain preschool program and to discuss ways they can develop their child's interest.
- Reads books to entire class or to small groups.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Administers tests to determine each child's level of development according to design of test.
- Plans instructional activities for teacher aide.
- Structures play activities to instill concepts of respect and concern for others.
- Plans individual and group activities for children, such as learning to listen to instructions, playing with others, and using play equipment.
- Dietetic Technicians
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Health Educators
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Orthotists and Prosthetists
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Recreation Workers
- Social and Human Service Assistants
General Work Activities
- Teaching Others
- Assisting and Caring for Others
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing
- Thinking Creatively
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Responsible for Others' Health & Safety
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Provide a Service to Others
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done