National Application Center :: career details :: Public Relations Specialists
Career Details :: Public Relations Specialists
Engage in promoting or creating good will for individuals, groups, or organizations by writing or selecting favorable publicity material and releasing it through various communications media. May prepare and arrange displays, and make speeches.
A minimum of two to four years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Plans and directs development and communication of informational programs designed to keep public informed of client's products, accomplishments, or agenda.
- Prepares and distributes fact sheets, news releases, photographs, scripts, motion pictures, or tape recordings to media representatives and others.
- Promotes sales and/or creates goodwill for client's products, services, or persona by coordinating exhibits, lectures, contests, or public appearances.
- Prepares or edits organizational publications, such as newsletters to employees or public or stockholders' reports, to favorably present client's viewpoint.
- Consults with advertising agencies or staff to arrange promotional campaigns in all types of media for products, organizations, or individuals.
- Arranges for and conducts public-contact programs designed to meet client's objectives.
- Represents client during community projects and at public, social, and business gatherings.
- Confers with production and support personnel to coordinate production of advertisements and promotions.
- Purchases advertising space and time as required to promote client's product or agenda.
- Counsels clients in effective ways of communicating with public.
- Conducts market and public opinion research to introduce or test specific products or measure public opinion.
- Studies needs, objectives, and policies of organization or individual seeking to influence public opinion or promote specific products.
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Market Research Analysts
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
General Work Activities
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Communicating With Other Workers
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Deal With External Customers
- Persuade Someone to a Course of Action
- Provide a Service to Others