National Application Center :: career details :: Cooks, Short Order
Career Details :: Cooks, Short Order
Prepare and cook to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. May take orders from customers and serve patrons at counters or tables.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Takes order from customer and cooks foods requiring short preparation time, according to customer requirements.
- Completes order from steam table and serves customer at table or counter.
- Cleans food-preparation equipment, work area, and counter or tables.
- Carves meats, makes sandwiches, and brews coffee.
- Accepts payment and makes change, or writes charge slip.
- Butchers and Meat Cutters
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
- Performing General Physical Activities
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Provide a Service to Others
- Hazardous Situations