National Application Center :: career details :: Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
Career Details :: Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
Serve food to diners at counter or from a steam table.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Serves food, beverages, or desserts to customers in variety of settings, such as takeout counter of restaurant or lunchroom.
- Calls order to kitchen and picks up and serves order when it is ready.
- Replenishes foods at serving stations.
- Brews coffee and tea and fills containers with requested beverages.
- Accepts payment for food, using cash register or adding machine to total check.
- Carves meat.
- Scrubs and polishes counters, steam tables, and other equipment and cleans glasses, dishes, and fountain equipment and polishes metalwork on fountain.
- Adds relishes and garnishes according to instructions.
- Orders items to replace stocks.
- Prepares sandwiches, salads, and other short-order items.
- Wraps menu items, such as sandwiches, hot entrees, and desserts.
- Serves sandwiches, salads, beverages, desserts, and candies to employees in industrial establishment.
- Writes items ordered on tickets, totals orders, passes orders to cook, and gives ticket stubs to customers to identify filled orders.
- Serves salads, vegetables, meat, breads, and cocktails, ladles soups and sauces, portions desserts, and fills beverage cups and glasses.
- Prepares and serves soft drinks and ice cream dishes, such as sundaes, using memorized formulas and methods of following directions.
- Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Cooks, Short Order
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks
- Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers
General Work Activities
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Communicating With Other Workers
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Provide a Service to Others
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate