National Application Center :: career details :: First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Personal Service Workers
Career Details :: First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Personal Service Workers
Supervise and coordinate activities of personal service workers, such as supervisors of flight attendants, hairdressers, or caddies.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in lodging and personal services.
- Trains workers in proper operational procedures and functions, and explains company policy.
- Collaborates with personnel to plan and develop programs of events, schedules of activities, and menus.
- Inspects work areas and operating equipment to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Informs workers about interests of specific groups.
- Requisitions supplies, equipment, and designated services to ensure quality and timely service and efficient operations.
- Furnishes customers with information on events and activities.
- Analyzes and records personnel and operational data and writes activity reports.
- Resolves customer complaints regarding worker performance and services rendered.
- Assigns work schedules, following work requirements, to ensure quality and timely delivery of services.
- Observes and evaluates workers' appearance and performance to ensure quality service and compliance with specifications.
- First-Line Supervisors, Customer Service
- Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
- Housekeeping Supervisors
- Lawn Service Managers
- Meeting and Convention Planners
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Recreation Workers
General Work Activities
- Coordinating Work & Activities of Others
- Communicating With Other Workers
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing
- Scheduling Work and Activities
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Supervise, Coach, Train Others
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done
- Coordinate or Lead Others