National Application Center :: career details :: Transportation Attendants, Except Flight Attendants and Baggage Porters
Career Details :: Transportation Attendants, Except Flight Attendants and Baggage Porters
Provide services to ensure the safety and comfort of passengers aboard ships, buses, trains, or within the station or terminal. Perform duties such as greeting passengers, explaining the use of safety equipment, serving meals or beverages, or answering questions related to travel.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Greets passengers boarding mode of transportation and announces stops.
- Responds to passengers' questions, requests, or complaints.
- Mails letters or arranges for dispatch of telegrams to assist passengers.
- Carries baggage to assigned rooms or to station platform.
- Cleans rooms and bathroom facilities, changes linens, and replenishes supplies to washroom.
- Inspects kitchen and dining area to ensure adherence to sanitation requirements.
- Signals transportation operator to stop or proceed, opens and closes doors, and establishes order among passengers.
- Counts and verifies tickets and seat reservations and records number of passengers boarding and leaving mode of transportation.
- Issues and collects passenger boarding passes and transfers and tears or punches tickets to prevent reuse.
- Distributes sports and game equipment, magazines, newspapers, pillows, blankets, and other items to passengers and guests.
- Demonstrates safety procedures.
- Provides seating arrangements and straightens and adjusts window shades and seat cushions to accommodate requests of passengers.
- Serves snacks, lunch, and refreshments.
- Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Counter and Rental Clerks
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Flight Attendants
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Tour Guides and Escorts
General Work Activities
- Performing for/Working With Public
- Assisting and Caring for Others
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Performing General Physical Activities
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Provide a Service to Others
- Deal With External Customers
- Responsible for Others' Health & Safety