National Application Center :: career details :: Residential Advisors
Career Details :: Residential Advisors
Coordinate activities for residents of boarding schools, college fraternities or sororities, college dormitories, or similar establishments. Order supplies and determine need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings. May maintain household records and assign rooms. May refer residents to counseling resources if needed.
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Some may require a bachelor's degree.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.
- Assigns room, assists in planning recreational activities, and supervises work and study programs.
- Orders supplies and determines need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings.
- Ascertains need for and secures service of physician.
- Chaperons group-sponsored trips and social functions.
- Plans menus of meals for residents of establishment.
- Hires and supervises activities of housekeeping personnel.
- Sorts and distributes mail.
- Answers telephone.
- Escorts individuals on trips outside establishment for shopping or to obtain medical or dental services.
- Compiles records of daily activities of residents.
- Counsels residents in identifying and resolving social and other problems.
- Child Care Workers
- Dietetic Technicians
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Recreation Workers
- Social and Human Service Assistants
General Work Activities
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Assisting and Caring for Others
- Provide Consultation & Advice to Others
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Resolving Conflict, Negotiating With Others
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Responsible for Others' Health & Safety
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Provide a Service to Others
- Frustrating Circumstances