National Application Center :: career details :: Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
Career Details :: Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Contacts regular and prospective customers to solicit orders.
- Prepares lists of prospective customers.
- Writes reports on sales and products.
- Assembles and stocks product displays in retail stores.
- Forwards orders to manufacturer.
- Assists and advises retail dealers in use of sales promotion techniques.
- Oversees delivery or installation of products or equipment.
- Obtains credit information on prospective customers.
- Estimates delivery dates and arranges delivery schedules.
- Meets with customers to demonstrate and explain features of products.
- Reviews sales records and current market information to determine value or sales potential of product.
- Prepares drawings, estimates, and bids to meet specific needs of customer.
- Instructs customers in use of products.
- Completes sales contracts or forms to record sales information.
- Answers questions about products, prices, durability, and credit terms.
- Investigates and resolves customer complaints.
- Recommends products to customers, based on customer's specific needs and interests.
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Public Relations Specialists
- Retail Salespersons
- Sales Representatives, Mechanical Equipment and Supplies
- Sales Representatives, Medical
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
General Work Activities
- Selling or Influencing Others
- Communicating With Persons Outside Organization
- Establishing & Maintaining Relationships
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Performing for/Working With Public
Frequent Work Context
- Job-Required Social Interaction
- Persuade Someone to a Course of Action
- Deal With External Customers
- Objective or Subjective Information
- Provide a Service to Others