National Application Center :: career details :: Order Fillers, Wholesale and Retail Sales
Career Details :: Order Fillers, Wholesale and Retail Sales
Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of outgoing orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Computes price of each group of items.
- Obtains merchandise from bins or shelves.
- Reads order to ascertain catalog number, size, color, and quantity of merchandise.
- Places merchandise on conveyor leading to wrapping area.
- Automatic Teller Machine Servicers
- Credit Authorizers
- Duplicating Machine Operators
- Mail Machine Operators, Preparation and Handling
- Marking Clerks
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Processing Information
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Documenting/Recording Information
Frequent Work Context
- Importance of Being Exact or Accurate
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done
- Job-Required Social Interaction