National Application Center :: career details :: Pressers, Delicate Fabrics
Career Details :: Pressers, Delicate Fabrics
Press dry-cleaned and wet-cleaned silk and synthetic fiber garments by hand or machine, applying knowledge of fabrics and heat to produce high-quality finish. Finish pleated or fancy garments, normally by hand.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful in these occupations, but usually is not needed. For example, a drywall installer might benefit from experience installing drywall, but an inexperienced person could still learn to be an installer with little difficulty.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma and may require some vocational training or job-related course work. In some cases, an associate's or bachelor's degree could be needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.
- Finishes fancy garments with hand iron to produce high-quality finishes that cannot be obtained on machine presses.
- Operates machine presses to finish parts that can be pressed flat and completes other parts by pressing with hand iron.
- Finishes pleated garments, determining size of pleat from evidence of old pleat or from work order, using machine press or hand iron.
- Finishes parts difficult to reach, such as flounces, by fitting parts over puff irons.
- Finishes velvet garments by steaming them on buck of hot-head press or steam table, and brushing pile (nap) with handbrush.
- Inserts heated metal form into tie and touches up rough places with hand iron.
- Presses ties on small pressing machine.
- Bakers, Bread and Pastry
- Hand Compositors and Typesetters
- Marking and Identification Printing Machine Setters and Set-Up Operators
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
- Pasteup Workers
- Pressers, Hand
- Spotters, Dry Cleaning
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
Frequent Work Context
- Hazardous Situations
- Provide a Service to Others
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Degree of Automation