National Application Center :: career details :: Pressers, Hand
Career Details :: Pressers, Hand
Press articles to remove wrinkles, flatten seams, and give shape by using hand iron. Articles pressed include: drapes, knit goods, millinery parts, parachutes, garments, slip covers, and textiles such as lace, rayon, and silk. May block (shape) knitted garments after cleaning. May press leather goods.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a general office clerk even if he/she has never worked in an office before.
These occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some may require a formal training course to obtain a license.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Pushes and pulls iron over surface of article, according to type of fabric.
- Fits odd-shaped pieces that cannot be pressed flat over puff iron.
- Adjusts temperature of iron, according to fabric type, and uses covering cloths to prevent scorching or sheen on delicate fabrics.
- Places article in position on ironing board or worktable.
- Pins, folds, and hangs article after pressing.
- Measures fabric to specifications, cuts uneven edges with shears, folds material, and presses with iron to form heading.
- Smoothes and shapes fabric prior to pressing.
- Sprays water over fabric to soften fibers when not using steam iron.
- Bakers, Bread and Pastry
- Glass Blowers, Molders, Benders, and Finishers
- Hand Compositors and Typesetters
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
- Pressers, Delicate Fabrics
- Spotters, Dry Cleaning
General Work Activities
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Getting Information Needed to Do the Job
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, Material
- Monitor Processes, Material, Surroundings
Frequent Work Context
- Hazardous Situations
- Using Hands on Objects, Tools, Controls
- Importance of Being Sure All Is Done